Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Help Wanted: Your Advice Please

So, these days, Aaron and I are toying with what to do with the kitchen. Here it is in its current state:


One word - YUCK.
So boring and so ... not ... us.

{by the way -- we live here. so don't mind the stuff on the counter or the fridge.}

The stainless-look fridge and microwave are new and eventually we will swap out the range and dishwasher for the same kind. The counter tops DRIVE ME CRAZY. I hate them. I would also LOVE to get rid of the pantry (behind the fabric on the left of the fridge) and add more cabinets and counter top to that side of the room. But that doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. I just need a better working space...

But here's where we need your thoughts and advice. We don't know which way to go with the new "look". We both have different thoughts on what the final result should be. I won't tell you which of us wants what, but here are the two options we're thinking about.

#1: Do we paint the cabinets and lighten the look -- like this:


or this:



#2: Or do we stain and create a darker, deeper feel -- like this:


or this:


What do YOU think?
{all pictures are courtesy HGTV.com, BHG.com, Kitchen-Cabinets-Design.com and possibly one other site; just so you know I'm not trying to steal anything!}

9 comments:

  1. Well.. ahem. I choose LIGHT & BRIGHT!! :) Can't wait for you to do this so I can learn from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is tough, either would look good. Leaning toward the white. but do you have skylights in the kitchen? it is already pretty bright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle and Amy~
    Thanks SO MUCH for the comments. ;0) (Nothing like competing ideas right off the bat!) HA

    Amy: yes, we do have skylights and, for the most part, they do let in a TON of light. However, we do have shades on them during the brightest (read: hottest) days of the year. Plus my concern for going darker would be making the room seem even smaller than it already is. There! Just told you which one of us wants what. Dang -- you guys are good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all about lightening it up! I have always loved the white cupboards, english country kitchen look. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. UGH! I was totally leaning toward the light design too! But since I posted this, I've been staring at the last two pictures and then looking at my kitchen.... longingly. I love the darker looker. It's rich and elegant. Totally me, right? HAHA

    Anywho, keep the thoughts coming in! (Aaron will be SO happy!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Light and Bright for sure. The space isn't large enough (no offense) for dark cabinets. Dark would shrink it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving pic #1. Hey, I would love to see your shutter headboard, but it's denying me accesss on picasa~says it's private? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa: Thanks for the comment! I've corrected the Picasa album. It should be good to go now! (I just wish my rooms were as glamorous as the ones on your site!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. keep waiting for the official decision!! :)

    ReplyDelete