Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What I've Been Up to:

Hello, Friends!  And Merry (Almost) Christmas!!

Yes, I have been AWOL for the past few months, haven't I?  Well, after three long years of PTG involvement at Matthew's school (from communication chair all the way to President), I have been re-learning what it means to have a life.  And to breathe.  :)  Suffice it to say, I think I might be on the right track.

In the past six months or so, I have attempted and accomplished much!  Let's see:
  • The Boy's bathroom/guest bathroom has (FINALLY!) received a coat of paint.  It was a wacky sponged blue and white and I swear I got a headache everytime I went in there.  Now it's a nice taupey brown -- the same Lyndhurst Stone from Valspar that is in the main parts of the house.
  • I have repainted the walls of the laundry room and I used "Nester Blue".  What's Nester Blue?  Well, it's a beautiful blue-green color discovered and shared by The Nester at The Nesting Place .  The blogosphere has dubbed it Nester Blue as an homage to all that she have given us ... and it's the very least we could do.  Anyway, it's a lovely shade of green/blue/seaglass and it makes me happy to do laundry!
  • I have been cooking up a storm lately!  And in that whirlwind, I have re-discovered my crockpot.  Oh, lovely, lovely crockpot ... I am so sorry I neglected you for so long.  With the crockpot, I've made a Mexican Breakfast Casserole, granola, Salsa Chicken, chili ... Otherwise, it's been Chicken Pot Pie, Black Bean Bake, tacos, stroganoff, etc. etc. etc.  It's been fun cooking for my boys and knowing that they are getting something healthy in their bellies.  It's also been nice to know that I can take them time to do all of this as well.
  • The house was somewhat neglected during the first two years of our life here.  Mind you, not neglected like everything's still in a box somewhere or we're still trying to pick out paint colors.  But neglected in that I've settled for things to be done just part of the way.  That drives me nuts.  I hate that I start something and then have a hard time making it to the finish line.  So, I've slowly started working on those little lists: clean out/organize office; clean out/rearrange guest room/basement; organize pantry; organize kitchen; figure out what I want to do with the Master Bedroom ... Are you sensing a theme?  Yeppers, organization.
  • I've also taken up reading again.  I.LOVE.TO.READ.  But I haven't had the time to do it is so long.  So this summer I read The Pillars of the Earth.  Wow.  All I can say is wow.  After reading this 900+ page novel, I had a better understanding of God and my relationship with Him.  Yes, a secular book about the British kingdom and how they raped and pillaged their people strengthened my faith.  The historical information about how these men re-wrote what God is all about and how they destroyed so many lives has given me insight into how I do the same thing.  How just one difference between what the Bible says vs. what I say/do/act like to someone is just as destructive.  I've become much more aware in my Spirit when I'm traveling down this same road.  Oy.  I challenge all Believers out there to see if you can't find God in everything surronding you.  He's there ... you just have to have eyes to see and ears to hear.
    • I also "discovered" Jane Austen!  Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibilty and Persuasion.  Persuasion is my favorite ... deep undertones of all kinds of things in that one for me. ;)  I'm starting Emma after the first of the year.
  • And most recently, I've done something I've wanted to do for some time: I've started doing a Bible study with a friend!  My dear Michelle invited me to study Beth Moore's Living Beyond Yourself: Exploring the Fruit of the Spirit.  It has been great to learn again how to set aside time to study and dig deeper.  It's just me and Daddy God.  Soemthing I've been needing for a while.

What's to come in 2011?

Well, the re-launch of my design business!  Henson Design Company will once again be given the attention it deserves.  I'll share more as I get further along, but the jist of it all will be me designing pieces that make me happy with the hopes that you too will find some joy in them -- and want to purchase them!  {haha!  there's always a catch, huh?}

I will also be chairing the Sixth Grade Promotion Team for my son's final year in elementary school.  Wait!  When did my little boy become old enough to be ready to leave elementary school?  Didn't we JUST start kindergarten??  I don't think I like this at all.  Hmmmmm.... ;)

Finally, I am part of the team coordinating and planning my 20 Year High School Reunion.  Again -- where on Earth did time go??  I still feel like I'm only 23.  Oy.

2 comments:

  1. Woah. You have been one busy woman! What's your secret for energy? Regarding your comment on the Lowe's light. Yes it is a strange color, I wouldn't say its blue though. It's a 'halogen' color like an office at work, ya know? The bulb that comes in the box is probably not the best kind. They make CFL bulbs that are softer. I will eventually change it out. Besides having to buy a new bulb the light itself is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same reaction to Pillars of the Earth. I felt changed after I read it. I also feel like an expert on cathedral building. ;) Love the constantly evolving look of your blog. It's always different but always pretty! :) Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete