Thursday, January 27, 2011

Good Timing?

Every morning, I check my email. 
And almost every morning, I get one from Lindsey Nobles and her I'm Just Sayin blog. 
I really {heart} her.

This morning's offering was very interesting.  It's actually something I've been wrestling with for some time.
Silence.
{And if you've known me for even a milli-second, you know that silence is NOT one of my virtues.}

But in light of yesterday's post, I found it intriguing.
I've been fighting silence.
I've been fighting not doing.
I've been fighting the whole "be still and know that I am God" thing.
{I know He's God, but the stopping and breathing that in is the challenge}

Lindsey discovered {via her sister} Henri Nouwen and his book, Out of Solitude.  But here's what she shared that got to me the most:

"The careful balance between silence and words,
withdrawal and involvement,
distance and closeness,
solitude and community
forms the basis of Christian life
and should therefore be the subjects
of our most personal attention."
-Henri Nouwen

I don't know about you, but the very idea of sitting still, not doing something, not being out there is less than appealing to me.  But I know that's not what Mr. Nouwen is meaning -- he's encouraging Believers to take those opportunities given to us by God to stop.  Smell the roses.  Check out the sunset.  Be still and know that I am God.

I'm wondering if the timing of this email is significant to my current state of non-business-ness.
I don't know.
But I'm thinking that I ought at least be still for a minute.  Or two.

I'll let you know if I get anything more out of it.  OH -- and I'm gonna definitely be pruchasing that book.

1 comment:

  1. Start with ONE minute. That's progress, right. At least that's what I tell myself. Maybe I'll fit in a minute today, too. :)

    ReplyDelete